Considering selling your Newport Beach home? Then follow these brief but important steps to obtain top dollar for your property.
- Address deferred maintenance: This is an important item, and should be done before listing your house. If you have a leaky faucet, broken garbage disposal, or a garage door that needs servicing, it is important to address and repair these items prior to putting the home on the market. Any potential buyer will see deferred maintenance and it will most definitely come up during the home inspection. A buyer may think that the home has not been maintained, and will not want to pay top dollar.
- How is the paint? Does it need to be touched up or does it need to be repainted? This makes a huge difference on having fresh paint in the home. Also, do not forget baseboards and crown moulding if they also needs to be painted. Evaluate the exterior paint as well on your Newport Beach home. When you are choosing paint, select a neutral color. Keep in mind, you want to appeal to the majority of the buyers coming in to the home.
- Is the carpet clean? Does it need to be replaced? Consider replacing carpet, if not then have it cleaned by a professional. Clean all floors in the house whether they are stone or tile, clean grout always looks better.
- Let the sun shine in, have your windows professionally cleaned. It also makes a huge difference. And if the screens are in need of repair, have those repaired or replaced. Especially living near the beach, it is common for screens to erode quickly due to the salt air. Window cleaning companies can also clean mirrors in the house. And be sure to clean the hard water spots of glass shower enclosures.
- Curb appeal: Your house has one chance to make a first impression. The first impression your property makes on someone is when they pull up in front. How is the curb appeal? Make sure that your walk ways are clean. Make sure that gardening is up to date and clean. Be sure flower beds are free of weeds. Annual flowers always look great, and it is an inexpensive way to improve the curb appeal of the home. How is the landscaping in general? Do the trees need trimming? Remember trees (especially large ones) can be a liability, so consult with a professional Arborist to have them professionally trimmed to preserve the integrity of the trees.
- Keep the home show ready. Remove a knick knacks, and remember less is more. I also recommend putting away personal photographs, and have the home look as neutral as possible. I have seen buyers and even other agents stop to look at the photos. Be sure to also de-clutter, because less is more.
A few other tips you might consider when preparing your home to sell.
If the bedrooms are smaller, consider using mirrored wardrobe doors in the bedrooms to enhance space and light.
Add healthy house plants in strategic locations to create a warm feel in the Newport Beach home. Keep fireplace clean if wood burning, and add un-burned wood if you are not using it.
If you have rain gutters, be sure to clean those out as well.
If I can answer any questions about preparing your home to sell, please contact me.