Are you considering listing your Newport Beach for sale? Even though there is extremely low inventory, you want to prepare your Newport Beach home to sell. Keep in mind your home has exactly ONE chance to make a first impression. With that in mind, here is a list of a few items that may turn away buyers.
1. Poor curb appeal: Overgrown and neglected landscaping is a real turn off to potential buyers coming to view your home. Keep the yard maintained, and add annual flowers. Remove weeds, and if plants and trees are overgrown, cut them back to create an inviting appearance.
2. Wallpaper or poor paint selection: When a buyer walks into the home and sees wallpaper from decades ago, it can be a real turn off. Or if the walls are painted a highly unusual color, consider painting all the walls with a neutral paint such as white or a neutral beige. Paint the baseboards too to keep it looking clean.
3. Popcorn Ceilings: Many homes built in the 60’s and 70’s do have popcorn ceilings. Additionally, Newport Beach homes for sale that were built before the mid-1970s may contain asbestos in popcorn ceilings. Make sure you have the popcorn ceilings tested for asbestos. If there is no asbestos, then you may want to hire a contractor to remove the popcorn ceilings. This is something that buyers will look at when they walk in the home, and popcorn ceilings do date a home.
4. Clutter: Nothing is more unappealing than clutter in a home. Keep in mind, less is more. You are selling your home, it is time to start thinking about boxing things up, donating items you no longer utilize to charity, and cleaning up your home. Closets should only be half full to demonstrate the space. Clean out drawers, and organize them.
5. Old Fixtures: If you have old or outdated fixtures, you may want to update them. It may be well worth your investment to replace old and outdated fixtures with new and up to date ones. Fixtures can be purchased at a local hardware store, and hire a plumber to install them.
6. Odors: Make sure your home is odor free. Nothing is a turn off more than a home having un-necessary odors from either pets, and/or smoking.
If I can answer any questions about selling your Newport Beach home, please contact me.